PART ONE – DOCTRINE
Based on the CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH – 14 units
1. I believe in God
2. I believe in Jesus Christ
3. I believe in the Holy Spirit
4. The Holy Trinity
6 The Holy Catholic Church
7. Sacraments of the Church
8. The Eucharist
9. The Sacrament of Confirmation
10. Sacrament of Reconciliation & Anointing of the Sick
11. Sacraments of Marriage and Holy Orders
12. The Church: Leadership & Precepts
13. Our Father: The Lords Prayer
14. Mary, Mother of God
PARTS 2a & 2b
THE WORD OF GOD IN SCRIPTURE AND LITURGY 12 + 12 units.
a) OLD TESTAMENT
- 1. Word of God: Scripture. Psalms: preliminary.
- 2. Word of God in Liturgy: Scripture
- 3 Liturgy of the Word: Easter and Christmas. Canticles.
- 4. Patriarchs: Covenant.
- 5. Moses; Exodus; Passover/Paschal Vigil. Sinai
- 6. Religion of the Israelites: pre-Sacramental signs; Feasts; Sacrifice; Ark
- 7. Kingdom, David, Solomon, Temple. Presence of God with his people. Penitential Psalms.
- 8. Divided Kingdom. Prophecy 1: Elijah, Amos, Hosea and the important aspects of religious insight that developed from their inspired speech/activity/personalities
- 9. Prophecy 2: Southern Kingdom. First Isaiah. Josiah’s reform. Jeremiah. Exile. Servant Songs of Isaiah 2 in Liturgy of Passion Sunday and Good Friday.
- 10 Prophecy 3: Ezekiel. Insights from Exile related to Psalms and Feasts.
- 11 Wisdom (include Universalism): Song of Songs (Bridal Concept:)
- Daniel (Son of Man) Messianic prophecies, including Isaiah. Advent/Christmas Liturgy of Word. Christ related Psalms.
- 12.Creation Genesis Proverbs. Fall set beside Annunciation. Noah. Water. Last Prophet John the Baptist. Developing understanding of Spirit e.g., in Creation.
b) NEW TESTAMENT
- 1. Preaching the word. Kerygma. Pentecost. Acts. Formation of Gospel Narratives. Epistles.
- 2. Synoptic Gospels. John the Baptist. Baptism of the Lord. Temptation.
- 3. Kingdom inaugurated. Miracles. Call of the disciples.
- 4. Gospel of St John: Cana; Temple; Nicodemus; The Samaritan Woman.
- 5.Sermon on the Mount. Prayer. the Father. Daily Prayer of the Church.*
- 6. Opposition. Preaching and signs. Feeding of the 5,000.
- 7. Parables.
- 8. Challenges to attitudes in Palestine. ‘Who do men say that I am?’ Passion Predictions.
- Suffering and cost of discipleship. Transfiguration.
- 9. Gospel of John: Jesus in Jerusalem; He replaces religion of the Old Law.
- Gospel of Mark: Events prior to the Passion. Eschatological Discourse.
- 10 Prologue to the Passion: a) Lazarus and Bethany. b) Last Supper. The Passion.
- Narrative in Mark’s Gospel
- 11 Post-resurrection understanding of the crucifixion as found especially in the writings of Sts Paul and John. Easter: Resurrection, Exaltation, Ascension.
- 12 Christ the King. Title Christology in the New Testament. The Good Shepherd.
The Book of Revelation.
Includes material for Prayer and Meditation
PART THREE – LIFE IN CHRIST
CCC & VERITATIS SPLENDOR 12 units
1. ‘What good deed must I do?’
2. God the source of goodness
3. Law and Freedom
4. Natural Law and Conscience
5. Practical Conscience
6. The Ten Commandments
7. ‘What do I still lack?’
8. Responding to Grace
9. Rejection of Grace
10. Lo, I am with you always
12. ‘Follow Me’ ‘if you wish to be perfect…’
PART FOUR – SOWING THE SEED
GENERAL DIRECTORY FOR CATECHESIS 12 units
Part A: Introduction
Part B: About Being Catholic – Listen! What is it that God is saying?
Part A: (Part 1, Chp1)
Part B: How does it work in your parish?
God’s revelation and mandate to teach others
Part A: (Part 1, Chp 2)
Part B: Baptism
Church and Systematic Catechesis
Part A: (Part 1, Chp 3)
Part B: Initiation
Part A: (Part 2 Chp I)
Part B: Presenting Scripture
Christ the centre of the Gospel Message
Part A: (Part 2, Chp 2)
Part B: Prayer and How to Pray
The Catechism of the Catholic Church
Part A: (Part 3, Ch. I)
Part B: The Holy Spirit and Confirmation
Part A: (Part 3, Chp 2)
Part B: Approach to Planning
Part A: (Part 4, Chp 1-2)
Part B. Plan Session
Catechesis for all the baptised.
Part A: (Part 4 Chp 3-4)
Part B. Planning a celebration
Devotions and the Mass
Part A: (Part 5, Chp 1)
Part B: Christian Life in the Diocese
Diocese and Holy Orders
(Part 5 Chp 2-4)
Part B: Analysis
Part A: Catechetical Formation